Sunday, March 29, 2009

Menu Planning

The new routine in my house is to plan the dinners for the week. You see my dad has taken over the duties of Head Chef during the week since he is retired and I am working full time, plus go to the gym or aquafit most days after work. This takes a load off me, and ensures that the food is ready when I get home so that I don't eat everything in sight.

Our routine includes looking through my favourite health conscious recipe books and magazines for recipes that appeal to both of us and are simple enough for Dad to make. Since there's only two of us and we have no problem eating left overs, we choose 3 recipes that will make from 4-6 servings. Any more than that and we'll be eating the same thing for weeks! As we choose the recipes we discuss what ingredients we already have and what we need, and so the shopping list formed as well.

The next step is for me to go to the computer and write the plan into a spreadsheet. I first list all the recipes on the menu for the week, the book or magazine they are in, page number, servings and number of points per serving.

I then assign a recipe to the day of the week and decide what sides to have with it. Sometimes it's as simple as salad or baked potato and veggies, depending on the recipe. I have a formula that shows me the total points for the planned meal, and then I print. This list gets placed on the fridge.

Since the remainder of my meals are planned each night as I pack my "feed bag" for the next day, this process allows me to know exactly what I'm eating for dinner on any given day so that I can plan accordingly and not exceed my points allowance.

So you must be wondering what I'm having for dinner this week.... get your drool bibs!

RecipeRecipe Book/magazinePoints Per Serving
Polynesian Stir FryHealthy Cooking (April/May 2009)6
Simply Orange ChickenLooney Spoons5
Chicken and Shrimp JambalayaAnne Lindsay's Light Kitchen9

0 comments: