Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Weigh In Day

I am happy to report a 2.5 lb loss on my first week of Weight Watchers.  I am very happy with that!  Not only did I lose 2.5 lbs but my week was filled with healthy food choices, everything in moderation, and some opportunities to learn.

Lesson #1:  Always Read the Recipe Twice
After pouring over a few recipes last week to find one that didn't require a trip to the grocery store, I picked one out that my dad could make and I wrote down the substitutions (eg: spinach for artichokes ) for him so that he wouldn't have to try to figure it out himself.  I was looking forward to that Greek pasta dish all day!  

When I got home from the gym I was famished but dinner was ready and waiting for me.  I remembered that it said it made two servings so I happily scooped up half the pot into my bowl and was thrilled to see the big pile of food I was entitled to.  Uh... NOT!  

After I finished the big honking bowl I had a belly ache and thought that I had to have been wrong about the number of servings so I rechecked the recipe.  SIX SERVINGS!!!  Whoops!  I just ate three!!  I was honest and recorded all the extra points against my flex points for the week.  There went my "drinking money"!!

Lesson #2:  No Matter How Hungry I am, Two Cups of Pasta is Too Much
On Sunday I spent a good chunk of the day cooking food ahead for the week as I knew I'd be really busy, and my chief chef (aka DAD) was away for the week.  One of the things I made ahead was a pot of a very low cal tuna pasta sauce and was looking forward to having a favourite pasta dinner.  After planning my points for the day I toddled off to work with my lunch bag full of healthy, yummy food, knowing that I had planned well enough to save enough points to have two cups of cooked pasta with my sauce.

After I got home from the gym I cooked up the pasta and sat down with my big bowl of comfort food that was still in the day's plan.  I enjoyed every morsel but about an hour later the overfull bellyache kicked in again.  So now I know.... two cups of pasta is too much.

Lesson #3:  If I Think I'm Hungry, Wash the Kitchen Floor
This one is simple.  By the time you've washed and waited for it to dry, (you're "locked out"while it's wet) you may not be hungry anymore.  If you are, it's probably real hunger.

And the added benefit is that you now have a clean kitchen floor!

0 comments: