Saturday, June 12, 2010

My First 5k Race

Oh my gosh it's been a long time since I've been inspired to write something. I can't explain it but after I had my surgery I think I was just so overwhelmed by the whole experience I couldn't actually lay my thoughts to paper. And this is not to say that it's been a bad experience whatsoever.... it's been an absolutely amazing experience that has completely altered my life forever. Perhaps that's it in a nutshell.

So why am I back? Well as I sit here I am less than 5 hours away from running in my first 5K race and feeling a little bit nervous! Since having my surgery I have had an urge to run but 75 lbs ago I would have crippled myself if I tried. There is no way my joints would have stood up to the task but around February at the 50 lb mark I was ready to give it a go.

I joined the Running Room Learn to Run Clinic and haven't looked back. Most weeks I run 3 times per week, anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes. I don't do this without taking walk breaks but everything I have read and heard indicates that these walk breaks are actually beneficial so I feel no guilt.

My objective today is to run the 5k in under 40 minutes since I have been averaging an 8 minute kilometer lately. If I can best that slightly I will have won the race with myself, and that's all that matters. I honestly don't care if I come in last - okay maybe I care a little - but I have no intention of trying to make the top 100 even! This is about me and nobody else. What a milestone in my journey though.

Now if only this nervous nausea would pass....

0 comments: