Monday, June 14, 2010

I Won the Race!!!

On Saturday I ran my first 5K race. It was an exciting, scary and humbling experience. Statistically I didn't do as well as I'd hoped: I completed the race in 41:07 (official chip time) and came 162/166 women in the race. I think the only people I beat were the walkers, to be honest but you know what? I still won that race!

The fact that I was out there at all is a miracle in and of itself. I was not competing with anyone else but myself and that crowd cheering me on at the end made me feel like I was coming in first. I could not have run this race one year ago and I'm so proud of how far I've come and that it's allowed me to challenge myself this way.

About a month ago I told my brother that I really didn't want to run races but then I decided to sign up to see if I can do it. Well I have my answer: I CAN!!! And that's how I won the race.

So I've signed up for two more races this season. I will be running a 5K on July 11 and will be running the 5K portion of a relay triathlon on September 19.

When my brother questioned why I decided to run a race after my previous declaration, I told him it was all about the free shirt!

Here's my new favourite Quote:
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” --John “the Penguin” Bingham

2 comments:

Deliska said...

You are extremely inspirational!

Dee :D

Jennie M said...

You did so well! Congrats Sue on your first PB!